The Africa Alliance of YMCAs is the umbrella body for Young Men’s Christian Association (YMCA) National Movements in Africa. We have in our network YMCA National Movements in 24 countries. Our vision is to Empower Young People for the African Renaissance. From Subject to Citizen (S2C) is our youth empowerment model that seeks to give youth a voice, space and ability to influence change in their community. We do this by providing Power Spaces where young people experience self-discovery, unlock their potential and connect with opportunities. AAYMCA works closely with our member movements, as well as other Area Alliances and the World Alliance of YMCAs for Youth empowerment. .
Purpose of the role
The AAYMCA is seeking to recruit a suitable candidate for the role of General Secretary. The purpose of this role is to ensure the growth and sustainability of the organisation guided by existing organisational policies and strategies including the YMCA 3.0 Strategy, the Youth Empowerment Theory of Change, and the African Union’s Agenda 2063. The General Secretary is further responsible for ensuring that Africa YMCA movements have the capacity to meet the imperatives of these strategies to secure long term impacts of the organisation in member countries and in the continent. He/she is also responsible for the growth of the Africa YMCA reach and presence across the continent as well as the financial growth of the organisation which includes diversifying the asset base as well as securing more strategic grants. The General Secretary also ensures that the organisation is present in key strategic spaces where youth issues are decided and represents the organisation’s interests and strategic importance in these spaces as well as with other partners and donor community. The position is a full time position based in Nairobi Kenya with an initial contract for four (4) years with possibility for renewal.
Summary of key tasks
To achieve the above purpose the General Secretary is expected to undertake the following key tasks:
- Ensures that good governance is applied in all proceedings (meetings held regularly, procedures followed.
- Identifies and monitors relevant internal and external developments and opportunities for the realization of the objectives of the organization, assesses the impact and translates this into policy and the development of activities.
- Represents the organization externally on both strategic and tactical levels.
- Focuses the vision of the organization on acquiring financial resources, profiling the organization and influencing stakeholders.
- Initiates, builds and maintains relevant networks for the acquisition of financial resources.
- Prepares, in consultation with the Board and NGSs, the strategic plan in line with the organisational policy.
- Develops, within the established strategic policy, the annual plan and draws up the budget.
- Oversees and evaluates the implementation of the organisational strategy and makes technical preparations for adjustments to be adopted by lay leaders if necessary.
- Maintains and improves processes, procedures and systems that provide coordination and coherence across National Movements.
- Guides the work of employees and determines the deployment of external contractors, coordinating the work and monitoring the quality.
- Provides an entrepreneurial working environment within which initiatives can be taken and encourages others in the immediate working environment to take initiatives.
- Identifies opportunities for improving and recognizing the quality of products and services; realizes and guarantees the intended quality level.
- Maintains internal contact with the Board and national Movements to coordinate policy issues and create support.
- Maintains contact with other Area Alliances and the World YMCA on matters of common interest.
- Maintains contact with employees to gather information, coordinates policy issues and creates support.
- Maintains contact with cooperation partners and other relevant parties to share knowledge and information, to obtain input, to influence directionally and to create support.
- Maintains a network and consults with various external parties at municipal, regional, provincial and national and international levels to coordinate and persuade for subsidy and fundraising. Ensures compliance of policies relating to sexual harassment,gender equity and equality among others,
- Leading a National or International organisation with a complex governance model in a senior role
- Managing Financial Resources including budgeting and investment decision making on behalf of an organisation
- Managing Human Resources including recruitment, development and retention
- Working with and/or advocating for youth
- Applying a strong spiritual conviction and a deep Christian commitment to exercise ecumenical principles and practices
- Influencing various audiences through effective use of the written and spoken word
- Applying the principles and practices of raising funds through philanthropy and investors both inside and outside the organisation
- Promoting Diversity and inclusion
- Negotiating and resolving conflicts
The candidate should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Results oriented management
- Analytical, prioritizing, decision-making and strategic planning,
- Financial management / resource development
- Interpersonal and group communication, Advocacy
- Collaboration and cooperation,
- Coaching and facilitation skills,
- Entrepreneurial skills,
- Empowering people,
- Innovation and persuasion,
The candidate should demonstrate visionary leadership, strategic thinking, humility, efficiency, accountability, honesty, focus, passion, confidence, the ability to inspire, energy and spirituality.
- A university degree in social sciences or development studies, or equivalent professional designation or a combination of education and experience, is required
- The ability to communicate effectively in English is required. Ability to communicate in French would be an Asset.
How to apply
If interested please send an application that contains a motivational letter not exceeding 700 words and CV including 3 references to email address email@example.com no later than end of day 21st September 2018. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.